Friday, June 30, 2006

Hashing


I think I made a post about hashing before on the old blog, but hashing is essentially a running group that also drinks in between runs. It usually is separated into 2 runs/walks. At the halfway point, you talk a break and either drink some water or beer. Then at the end, they do some interesting ceremony things and finish the kegs.

Yesterday was the first time that I ran in a hash period, since I walked in one last summer. I guess I am just not used to running on such a hard surface because I ended up hurting my knee. So today, I took a sick day and am just watching soccer and tennis on TV, playing some online poker (In the three tournaments I got in, I won one and placed second in another.), and am doing the RICE routine for swollen knees, which is rest, icing, compression (ace bandage), and elevation.

Again, like my last knee injury, it couldn't have come at a worse time. Last time, I hurt my knee playing basketball, only a few days before graduation. The picture is me on crutches just outside the Kohl Center, which hosted the graduation ceremonies and also is where all the basketball games are played. This time, it comes days before Candy is moving in and probably wants some help moving in. I guess we'll see. It seems to be getting slightly less painful to walk, but that probably doesn' t mean much since it took quite a while to recover from the last injury.

The last injury I actually had a slight hairline fracture in the tibia. This time, I doubt it's anything like that because I think it's just swollen from running too much on concrete. I regularly run on a treadmill at the gym and play basketball, both of which are fairly harsh on knees, but I guess I just ran too much yesterday. I guess the smart thing to due would be either not to run at hash's anymore, if I go to anymore, or only run half of the time.

3 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger L. Sanchez said...

Candy told me about this the other day and laughed. We both did. You're so strange. This is precisely why I don't run--it's dangerous.

And hard and boring.

And I hate having to come home and shower afterwards. I'm too tired to shower afterwards but too sweaty not to. Quandry.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I am usually not a big fan of running. I agree, it's quite boring, but it's just another way to workout and change up the workout. I usually only run once a week.

I would say there are a lot of other more dangerous sports, but it's probably the one of the most injury prone for just working out (Maybe not, who knows, just my opinion).

As far as showering, I usually don't sweat enough to warrant an extra shower. I will just normally wait till the next morning unless I am drenched in sweat. Candy doesn't know what she is getting into ... haha.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger L. Sanchez said...

I'm going to try to get more exercise. Maybe I'll start by walking first...

Well, I'll have to find my sneakers.

Eh. My closet is angry with me though...

Working out is soooo hard...

What with the finding of the sneakers...the putting on of the sneakers...the tying of the sneakers...eh. I'm pooped just thinking of it.

Shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home